By Sian Wilkinson, An 18 Year Old Fashion PR Intern.

Tuesday 14 October 2014

A little fashion advice from a Fashion Intern

Incase I haven't mentioned it enough yet(It's still sinking in) I am currently interning at a PR company on a 3 month basis, I started Mid September and I feel like I've learned so much in such a short period of time.
However when it comes to interning, thinking about your career or just life in general life it can all get a bit daunting and it can feel as if everything is full speed ahead, so here's some tips that I have learned so far working in the Fashion Industry:

-Remember that It's not forever (Unless you want it to be) Your current situation is just that, current! Sometimes you can feel a little stuck if you're not enjoying yourself as much as you expected, but I promise we all feel like that!

-Is this experience going to benefit me? Ask yourself this question before you accept an offer or even apply for a position. Countless times I've applied for jobs that don't interest me and they're normally the ones that you get called back for! So is it necessary experience? Is the company that the experience is for similar to your dream company?

-Don't be afraid to ask questions in the workplace, I should've listened to my own advice here! If you don't ask the specifics about the task in hand if you're anything like me there's a 99% chance you're going to make it worse for yourself by doing it wrong. So Ask away!

-Never shy away from applying for positions because of a fear of rejection, if we all did that we'd never get anywhere! And If Anna Wintour can do it so can we, right? If it takes your fancy apply there's nothing to lose. Head over to www.fashionworkie.co.uk and start today

-Be Friendly to everyone that you come into contact with, staff, employees at other companies, guests etc. It's never too early to make a good impression, Fashion is all about contacts and you'd be surprised at the amount of opportunities that present themselves to friendly positive people.

I hope this helped a little, and if you ever have any questions you can comment below or email me at sianwilkinson5896@yahoo.co.uk.

Happy Tuesday.x

No comments:

Post a Comment