By Sian Wilkinson, An 18 Year Old Fashion PR Intern.

Tuesday 15 July 2014

What I've learned about working in fashion so far.

Whilst I'm far from an expert I have been interested in a career in fashion since around the beginning of this year, I'm sure that working in Fashion retail and the creation of this blog only confirmed the route that I wanted to decend upon. In the beginning it's likely that you're not going to be completely sure which area of Fashion you want to enter as there's so freaking many, however I'm sure some of you lucky ones have a pretty clear idea but I sure didn't! So this blog post I hope will give you an idea on how to get into working in the industry and finding out what path you want to embark on.                                    

-Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, applying for vacancies and contacting companies will eventually pay off! Showing determination is extremely attractive to employers and you could find yourself with a great outcome. So don't be scared to speak up and approach people, in the beginning I was worried but it's sure to get you noticed in time which is what it's all about.  "If you don't ask you don't get" Is what I've always been told and it's true, where did sitting around waiting for opportunities to come to you get anyone? For example last year I entered the Vogue Young Talent Competition, on a random look through the magazine online I came across the competition and I knew straight away that it was too much of an opportunity to miss!

-Volunteer, create a blog, create some of your own designs even enroll on a course! Employers will look for dedicated applicants who have a clear interest in working in Fashion. It's never too late to try something new! Put yourself in an employers position, You want a person that is proactive and sensible with their time in terms of activities and hobbies that they do and even better if they relate to the job that you're applying for! Applicants with experience and relevant interests are more likely to succeed, as the employer will be confident that the candidate will try their hardest in all job tasks,
   
-Prepare for the less glamorous side of the industry, such as low/no pay and running basic errands. I have experienced a small piece of this where I was required to hand deliver invitations around London, with only the addresses to follow. I'll just say google maps was my best friend that day! You're expected to think on your feet, and you find yourself eager to impress. The majority of internships are unpaid however graduates are more likely to be given a salary, but it is all about experience! and I now know that after 3 months the company has to pay you, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us not going to university. The Devil Wears Prada is such a realistic insight into the fashion industry, and the energy and time consuming tasks that are required daily for very little appreciation. But if Andy can do it, so can we! (OOoooh her wardrobe turned into one to die for!!)
                                  
-Try out different experiences and internships to give you an idea of where you want to head, from Marketing&PR to buying or styling there are so many different areas. Websites such as www.fashionunited.co.uk and www.fashionworkie.com (my personal favourite) have a wide range of positions available so you can browse through the hundreds of advertisements and see what tickles your fancy! It's normal to not have a clear idea of the area that you'd like to work in, but finding the right industry is the first and probably hardest step! I started out applying for basic social media orientated and once I began Blogging for ILoveMarkets, I knew that it wasn't something that I really wanted to do. Because I blog for fun and I didn't have a particularly large interest in markets so I just wasn't enjoying myself.
And if you do see something just apply so many times I've applied without a thought and I ended up working at LCM at a result of it!

-Determination goes a long way and I've had great parents who have taught me to never give up, and thankfully I've seen results myself so I try my best to motivate those around me (Emily!!!) I believe that If you want something bad enough and you're willing to work your butt off then eventually your efforts will be recognised. So do not give up! I repeat do not give up people! Where would anyone be if they did that? I just think about where I would like to go in the future, and whilst working 7 days a week is not ideal it's a temporary situation that would allow me to get invaluable experience.
Rejection is part of life and not every company will feel that you're the right candidate, I've had my fair share believe me but it's their loss right?! Carrying on is what separates the determined and the settlers and I'm not prepared to settle this early on in life!                        

-My Current Situation: So right now I've completed my Business college course, I'm working In River Island on weekends and trying my best to find and internship that I will enjoy! I've been invited by Ella Dror PR to attend London Fashion Week and intern with them again which is an amazing opportunity. I am an extremely impatient person that I will tell you, and my Mum constantly has to remind me that nothing happens over night and it's better to be searching for an internship than be on a placement where I'm miserable! Or even just sitting around doing nothing. I also recently interned for a freelance stylist as her Assistant however I feel that styling isn't for me, PR is where I want to be working because I've always had a passion for sales! Some call it nerdy but it's probably because I can relate as I'm a confessed shop a holic.
Hope this helps, Happy Tuesday.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment