By Sian Wilkinson, An 18 Year Old Fashion PR Intern.

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Blogging Advice

Whilst I'm still new to this game I feel that I have learnt a fair amount whilst blogging, If you're a newbie like me I know it can seem as if your blog is going nowhere. But I've learnt that we only think this if we compare ourselves to others and their success, yes I do it too! It's easy to get frustrated when you see successful bloggers doing so well when you're trying so hard and barely leaving the ground, but we all work at different paces and all good things take time right? So many times I've found myself moaning about not having any current collabarations, a lack of followers (However I appreciate the fantastic ones that I have!) up until now that is. Because when I look at inspirational bloggers I find that they're all just having fun with what they're doing, and hey we're all doing this because we have a passion right?! And we all seem to forget to often how lucky we are to have a hobby that we  find real enjoyment in, I know just a few years back I didn't have any real interests and I honestly don't know what I did with all my time. So here's some advice that has helped me and motivated me to carry on doing my thang:

-Do not focus on followers, collaborations and all that mumbo jumbo. Whilst its great to develop a large following and snag free clothes it's not the most important thing. Focus on making your blog great by sharing your passion, I find blogging really satisfying and that's a reward in itself.

-Put yourself out there, using social media platforms is the best way to create a following and get the word around about your blog. With every fashion label using the internet as much as we are, getting recognised by them is so much easier now! Tagging the brand of your clothing in your images seems like a no brainer but for so long I didn't know that people even did that,  if brands see you rocking their clothes and receiving positive feedback there could be a potential collaboration on the cards. Although of course that's not the most important thing.

-Hashtag Hashtag Hashtag, they're abused more than anything these days but just recently i've seen how great they are for getting your photos and posts noticed online. As the fashion blogging community uses the #fblogger tag it's easy to communicate with others and get your posts out there. It works, on twitter, instagram, facebook and even tumblr so get going!

-Join blogging communities such as The Blogger ProgrammeBloggers Love, and Etail PR as they are a fantastic way to meet other bloggers, find out about events, and create relationships with brands. I recommend signing up to Bloggers Love now as there's a Bloggers love Fashion Week in September which I'm sure will be amazing! And I hope to see you guys there:)

-Be honest on your blog and be yourself in your thoughts, views and opinions as this is what is going to set you apart from other bloggers! Channel your personality in your posts as it's always nice to see some character in a blog. Make jokes and show your fun side there's no reason why we have to be bad fashionistas 24/7.

-If you feel like you're ready to comit to a collabaration then go ahead and contact a brand head on, contacting ILWF was how I ended up at their bloggers event so you really have nothing to lose. And I'm partial to the odd hundred emails to missguided, I'm not even kidding the day I collabarate with them my life will be complete. All you need to do is type up a quick email with an outline of your blog and then you can just forward it to the contact emails on the websites of the brands, like missguided some have a contact email just for blogger mail.

-Share experiences, advice and reviews don't be afraid to shake things up on the old blog. I love a good change and unpredictable blogs are my favourite! Whilst I love fashion i'll read anything and everything if it's got a purpose, movie and book reviews are my favourite and I'm planning to do one myself soon.

-And most importantly enjoy it! Remember why you did this?  Not for recognition or perks but to share your ideas, so don't ever give up you never know what the future might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment